Smoked Deviled Scotch Eggs
  • scoobscoob

Smoked & Deviled Scotch Eggs with Bacon
    Rate Post:
    This is an adaptation of a traditional Scotch egg recipe, well actually its waaay out in left field from the original.

this recipe is for making 6 eggs, for 12 servings.
    The sausage mix:
    *6 peeled hard boiled eggs, buy them a week in advance. real fresh eggs peel poorly. I use the float method to see if they are good for hardboiling, in a pot of water set the egg on the bottom, if the egg stands up on end it is a good hardboiler, if it lays flat its too fresh, if it floats to the top its good to go in the trash.
    *2 lbs of fresh bulk sweet Italian sausage, cut it out of casings if links are all thats available at the store
    *1 raw egg to go into the sausage mix
    *breadcrumbs (enough to tighten up the sausage-egg mix)
    *6 slices of bacon cooked crisp in the oven and minced up, can be mixed into sausage mix (might be a good idea for my next batch)

The deviled egg ingredients:
    *****based on list for 18 whole eggs, needs to be adjusted down!******
    *1/2 cup real mayo
    *2 Tbsp dijon mustard
    *1Tbsp minced green onion or shallot
    *1Tbsp lemon juice
    *1/2tsp sriracha sauce
    *1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce
    *1/4 tsp salt
    *addl sriracha sauce for garnish

mix the raw egg into the sausage mix, add breadcrumbs until the mix tightens up and is no longer runny. seperate into 6 even balls.

take one sausage ball and flatten into an oval, add some bacon crumbles to the top if they were not incorporated into the sausage mix

wrap the sausage around an egg and try to maintain an even thickness to promote even cooking. repeat for all the eggs.

get the smoker to 225-250° and start smoking the eggs, I hit them with mesquite wood for the first hour or so, then use natural hardwood charcoal for the balance of the cooking

I use a cooling rack to smoke them on, I use it while making them and transfer to the smoker.

mine took approx 3 hours for the sausage to get to 160 internal temp to properly cook the sausage.

once cooled a bit I cut them in half, scooped out the yolks and deviled them, mix all the ingredients with the egg yolks until smoothe and pipe into eggs, top with a drop of sriracha sauce and enjoy!

Jesus didn't wear pants
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    made my version of these for a st patricks party at a friends house. they were a big hit as always.

this time i mixed a few drops of green food coloring into the filling for a little holiday touch.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • viking73viking73
    These kick ass! Made them for the superbowl, the doubters were converted!