Scotch Whisky Thread
  • Ace_ClubAce_Club
    I recently discovered that I actually like Scotch now. I had tried it once before and all I could taste was alcohol. My taste buds must have matured over the last 10 years. Anyways, I wanted to start this thread to discuss favorite types, brands, etc., as well as how you drink it, when you drink it and everything else.

So far, I've gone a little nuts and stocked my bar with the following in the last month:

Laphraoig 10 (very peaty, not my favorite)
    Glenfiddich 12 (tasty, a little on the sweet side)
    Glenlivet 12 (tasty, a little on the sweet side)
    Glenlivet 15 (my overall favorite so far, not too sweet, and I love the flavor)
    Jura 16 (tasty, a little on the sweet side)

I have one tulip-shape tasting glass, though my default is an old, glass Nutella jar. I've tried most of them neat, but prefer them with some water.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ceanntceannt
    Hmmmm... you would like the better Speysides .... try Craggenmore
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    I like em peaty ... Talisker ... Lagavulin ....
  • ceanntceannt
    Always neat .... warm it with my hands a bit to free up the aroma ... and stick with the little tulip shaped glass
  • Ace_ClubAce_Club
    ceannt said:

Always neat .... warm it with my hands a bit to free up the aroma ... and stick with the little tulip shaped glass

I'm not sure about that. Even the distillers water it down when tasting. Adding a little water (even up to a 2:1 ratio) really opens up a scotch and can allow additional aromas/flavors to be released and perceived.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i try scotch and other whiskey's every few years, in the hopes that someday i will enjoy it. so far though, nothing!

good work on turning the taste buds around.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    the distillers might be watering it down because they have to taste a boatload of them and don't want to end up tanked.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

i try scotch and other whiskey's every few years, in the hopes that someday i will enjoy it. so far though, nothing!

add some hops.
  • jlwjlw
    I like scotch. I should get bottle. I haven't had a bottle around the house for a long time. I used to drink scotch with cigars and then learned how to par beer with cigars and haven't had a bottle since then.
  • ceanntceannt
    Ace_Club said:

ceannt said:

I'm not sure about that. Even the distillers water it down when tasting. Adding a little water (even up to a 2:1 ratio) really opens up a scotch and can allow additional aromas/flavors to be released and perceived.

Yeah ... they can say that all they want .... I don't like it watered down ... if you wrap your hand around the glass for a couple minutes it opens up just fine
  • ceanntceannt
    If you like them soft and delicate you might try Scapa from the Orkneys .... last thing that hits you in the finish is clean salt air
  • scoobscoob
    Great thread here fellas, making my Christmas list from it!
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ceanntceannt
    Wife gets me a bottle at Christmas every year ..... best present under the tree!
  • ceanntceannt
    If you have the coin .... 18 year old MacCallans is like heaven in a bottle ....
  • Ace_ClubAce_Club
    I've heard really good things about Aberlour A'bunadh. Also the Highland Park line.
  • ThymThym
    Macallan 18

Do it.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    I'm working on a 1.75L jug of "the famous grouse". I like it. I often go for johny red, but that was giving me gut rot. This grouse stuff is sweeter and more mild, though young (but for the price....)
    How I like to drink it: well when I'm feeling fancy I put it in a cup, when I'm feeling extra fancy the cup is made of glass. In the summer I sometimes like one ice cube. I've always liked the idea of the water thing, but I can always taste the water, I'd like to try it with distilled water.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • Ace_ClubAce_Club
    I can drink the Glenlivet 15 neat no problems. Most of my others I think really benefit from the addition of some water. Though, even the Glenlivet 15 gains some from a water addition.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    I think the key it to sip really light. You will build up enough spit that you're basically mixing it with water, but spit has no taste at all, well as long as it's your own.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym

I think the key it to sip really light. You will build up enough spit that you're basically mixing it with water, but spit has no taste at all, well as long as it's your own.

hmmm.....
  • ThymThym
    while most of what jerry says is totally insane, it's hard to argue any kind of counter point.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Lakewood said:

while most of what jerry says is totally insane, it's hard to argue any kind of counter point.

It's hard to argue with science is what you're saying!
    Right now I'm also noticing it's hard to take a really little sip when I'm having a less fancy night (drinking out of the bottle.... well, it's more of a jug)
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

Right now I'm also noticing it's hard to take a really little sip when I'm having a less fancy night (drinking out of the bottle.... well, it's more of a jug)

Science my ass. Drink your jug hobo.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Lakewood said:

Lakewood said:

I just realized I have a jug of wine! I can hobo it up for real tonight! No hobo drinks cheap scotch, cheap vodka is just so much cheaper.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • jlwjlw

Lakewood said:

Lakewood said:

I just realized I have a jug of wine! I can hobo it up for real tonight! No hobo drinks cheap scotch, cheap vodka is just so much cheaper.

is it in a paper bag?
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    jlw said:

Lakewood said:

Lakewood said:

is it in a paper bag?

plastic bag.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • Ace_ClubAce_Club
    Quit hijacking my thread, bitches!
  • ThymThym
    Ace_Club said:

Quit hijacking my thread, bitches!

this.

@ace_club so what are you drinking now? have you tried the maccallan?
  • Ace_ClubAce_Club
    Haven't tried the Macallan yet. Last night I was at a bar and tried both Balvenie Doublewood and Dalwhinnie 15. They were both very good, though the Balvenie was my favorite.
  • jlwjlw
    I need to find a bar that has a good selection. Better yet I wish I knew an expert that could help me pick a good scotch. I might like to find a good single barrel whiskey too.
  • ceanntceannt
    They are all so different .... you have to bite the bullet and try them all... only way to tell what suits your pallet the best ..
  • ThymThym
    Ok, this aint a single malt but it is ultra smooth.
    IMG-20121225-00202.jpg
    2560 x 1920 - 1M
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    this would be a good time to describe the different between single malts and "multi malts?"

i assume the multi malts are just sluttier?

and lake, why did you glue that bottle to your wall?
  • ThymThym
    And blackberries are lame.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

And blackberries are lame.

you shut your mouth! blackberries are delicious. leave them out of this.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    raspberries are where its at.

i am drinking a small glass of makers mark. i have had the bottle several years. it tastes like caramel gasoline.
  • ThymThym

i am drinking a small glass of makers mark. i have had the bottle several years. it tastes like caramel gasoline.

Yes. Yes it does.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

good to know. gasoline is delicious.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

If you want raspberry gasoline go for this:

wasn't this about scotch?
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • Ace_ClubAce_Club

this would be a good time to describe the different between single malts and "multi malts?"

i assume the multi malts are just sluttier?

Single malt means that the malt comes from a single distillery. Most, if not all, single malts come from multiple casks. This is why the requirement that the age statement on the label has to be the age of the youngest malt mixed in the batch.
  • scoobscoob
    Anyone try this?

For the money it might be quite a value if you can get over the "house brand" label

If its anything like the Kirkland vodka it's a winner in my book!

image.jpg
    2560 x 1920 - 871K
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ThymThym
    azscoob said:

Anyone try this?

For the money it might be quite a value if you can get over the "house brand" label

i gotta get to costco!
  • scoobscoob
    Lakewood said:

azscoob said:

Anyone try this?

i gotta get to costco!

The vodka is grey goose, the scotch is labeled as macallan/speyside, this I pray is top notch at a killer price.....
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • Ace_ClubAce_Club
    azscoob said:

Lakewood said:

azscoob said:

Anyone try this?

i gotta get to costco!

The vodka is grey goose, the scotch is labeled as macallan/speyside, this I pray is top notch at a killer price.....

I'd try it if they sold it at my Costco. Unfortunately, they don't. :(

Trader Joe's is also rumored to carry a single malt. Again, though, not my store. :(
  • ThymThym
    azscoob said:

Lakewood said:

azscoob said:

Anyone try this?

i gotta get to costco!

The vodka is primo. Very good deal. Gonna check out my Costco this week.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Stupid puritan liqueur laws, grrr...
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • Ace_ClubAce_Club
    From what I've heard from a friend, it looks like the Costco's around here may have just received the Kirkland scotch. I'll have to check it out this weekend and see.

Jayrizzle
  • C_BC_B
    I'm getting into some scotch... I'm working on a bottle of Glen Livet 12 right meow. I prefer it with a splash of water.
    I was several others at the liquor store. Glenfidleditch (or whatever), Oban, and Mcallan Cask Strength. Is that last one any good? It had a nice label.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ceanntceannt
    Glennfiddich? No.... just no

Oban? Yes ... a good "transitional" between the softer highland malts and the western island malts

MacCallan is a highland malt .... the 18 year old is awesome ... never had the cask strength ... but the younger versions are a bit lacking
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    I like the Oben 14 yr a ton! Actually, that bottle is almost dead, need to get a new one.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews

Yeah for me! Turned my own taste buds around!
  • ceanntceannt

what? you like malty beer now?
  • ceanntceannt
    :-O
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    ceannt said:

gross.
  • C_BC_B

ceannt said:

gross.

=))
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

Glennfiddich? No.... just no

Oban? Yes ... a good "transitional" between the softer highland malts and the western island malts

MacCallan is a highland malt .... the 18 year old is awesome ... never had the cask strength ... but the younger versions are a bit lacking

Ok. I'll try to find some MacCallan 18.
  • Ace_ClubAce_Club
    Heading out to Disney World tomorrow. Bringing along an eight ounce water bottle full of Jura 16. I'll need something good to be sipping on after the kids go to bed.
  • C_BC_B
    Ace_Club said:

Heading out to Disney World tomorrow. Bringing along an eight ounce water bottle full of Jura 16. I'll need something good to be sipping on after the kids go to bed.

If this is how you get booze into Disney World then it is not the happiest place on Earth.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    C_B said:

Ace_Club said:

If this is how you get booze into Disney World then it is not the happiest place on Earth.

That makes me sad... sad for Ace.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • C_BC_B
    So I'm most of the way through the GlenLivet 12 bottle. It's just a bit too much hot alcohol for me. I think I'll spring for the Talisker for the next bottle.
  • C_BC_B

I like the Oben 14 yr a ton! Actually, that bottle is almost dead, need to get a new one.

Or this. Or the Mcallalan also mentioned. Yeah, that isn't spelled right.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    picked up a Balvenie 15 yr and a Dalwhinnie 15 yr this weekend.

Both are phenomenal. The Balvenie is 47.5% alcohol and still smooth as a sumbitch. Good stuff.
  • ThymThym

picked up a Balvenie 15 yr and a Dalwhinnie 15 yr this weekend.

Both are phenomenal. The Balvenie is 47.5% alcohol and still smooth as a sumbitch. Good stuff.

You're powering through this whole world of Scotch now aren't you.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    yes
  • jlwjlw

Lagavulin is what i tried on my trip annit was phenomenal. I want then try ardberg 10 yr then laphroaig 10 yr. All from the Isley region known for smokey and peaty aroma and flavor. When the bartender brought me the Lagavulin I could smell the smokiness when she sat it down. I need to get more!
  • ceanntceannt
    Lagavulin is wonderful .....
    If you go for the Laphroaig.... get the 18....
  • ceanntceannt
    funny story.... my brother in law was over at the house yesterday evening.... he drinks Crown Royal.. (shudder)
    I pulled the cork out of the bottle of Talisker and let him take a sniff .....
    his reaction was epic.... :-&
  • ThymThym
    ceannt said:

funny story.... my brother in law was over at the house yesterday evening.... he drinks Crown Royal.. (shudder)
    I pulled the cork out of the bottle of Talisker and let him take a sniff .....
    his reaction was epic.... :-&

girls dont know how to drink.
  • Ace_ClubAce_Club
    Tried some Auchentoshan Triple Wood during my suit fitting this afternoon. That is one outstanding scotch! Super smooth straight, and a dash of water really brings out the vanilla and caramel aromas/flavors.

This will definitely be one of the next bottles I pick up.
  • C_BC_B
    Birthday.
    IMAG0952.jpg
    1440 x 2560 - 257K
  • jlwjlw
    C_B said:

Birthday.

I hate your face you douche canoe
  • C_BC_B
    jlw said:

C_B said:

Birthday.

Ha! So you like this one?
  • jlwjlw
    C_B said:

jlw said:

C_B said:

Birthday.

Ha! So you like this one?

Love it.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    either way, happy birthday.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    C_B said:

Birthday.

i must bought a bottle of that up in chicago while i was at that wedding. We drank almost all of it (and a bottle of glenfiddich 18) while on vacation
  • C_BC_B

C_B said:

Birthday.

i must bought a bottle of that up in chicago while i was at that wedding. We drank almost all of it (and a bottle of glenfiddich 18) while on vacation

How was the Glenfiddleditch?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i gave it a rating of "Meh"
    Totally drinkable, but not outstanding. I'd rather have Glen Livet 15 personally
  • ceanntceannt
    Yeah .. Glennfiddich is on the meh side ... not all that
  • jlwjlw
    ceannt said:

That's what I drank when I didn't know better.
  • C_BC_B
    jlw said:

ceannt said:

That's what I drank when I didn't know better.

Thanks to this thread I won't be able to say that.
  • C_BC_B
    C_B said:

Birthday.

Soooo, I dug into this in Florida. It's rich and smokey. Wow. Bang, right in the kisser. I liked it, but honestly I wasn't expecting quite the face punch.
  • ceanntceannt
    C_B said:

C_B said:

Birthday.

Soooo, I dug into this in Florida. It's rich and smokey. Wow. Bang, right in the kisser. I liked it, but honestly I wasn't expecting quite the face punch.

Ha! Yeah, it is "full flavored"... can be a shock if you are expecting something wimpy like Glennfiddich... but that's the way I like em.... one of my all time favorites
  • ceanntceannt
    Laphroaig is even more in yer face... get the 18 year old...
    I don't like it quite as well, but it is good stuff
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    I really like that Lagavulin 16. Mines been gone for weeks though. Actually, it only survived 3 days.
    Really digging on the balvenie and Dalwhenie at the moment. (well not at this exact moment, but in 2.5 hours)
    I think i like the Balvenie more, but it's really a toss up.

CB, have you tried Oban? It's a west highland and it's outstanding.
  • C_BC_B
    I have not. Oben 14 is next.
  • Ace_ClubAce_Club
    2 fingers of Balvenie 12 DoubleWood.

Mmmmm.
  • C_BC_B
    That reminds me. I have some Lagavulin (sp?) 16. Having some now, thanks.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    C_B said:

How do you forget about such a thing?
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • N_ClarkN_Clark
    Recently bought me another bottle of Lagavulin....wow the price has gone up! I also like Glenmorangie when they finish it in port or some other interesting cask.

"Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, any Glen will do..."
  • C_BC_B

C_B said:

How do you forget about such a thing?

Werkin too much. BS.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Just destroyed a bottle of Glen Moray 16.
    It's a pretty simple speyside, but it's smooth as all get out and only costs 50 bucks. Can't go wrong.

Also enjoying Auchentochan 12 year, another speyside. Usually 12's taste a little hot to me, but this one is nice. They say it's triple distilled, not sure if that matters or is hype (triple-hopped?) but it sure is smooth. Also around 50 bucks.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    My super fancy scotch at this time is a Highland Park 21 yr.
    It's like a party in my mouth and everyone's on heroin.
    very pricey.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

very pricey.

Sounds awesome, I'd love it if there were many itty bitty people in my mouth sleeping with their eyes open.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym

very pricey.

Sounds awesome, I'd love it if there were many itty bitty people in my mouth sleeping with their eyes open.

this doesn't sound appealing to me.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Lakewood said:

very pricey.

Next time you're in town you can try some. You'll agree that is the jizz of the highest gods and then happily slurp it down.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

Lakewood said:

very pricey.

Next time you're in town you can try some. You'll agree that is the jizz of the highest gods and then happily slurp it down.

Again, that sounds awesome and I want it in my mouth right now.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

very pricey.

im just thinking you're really bad at describing things.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Lakewood said:

Lakewood said:

very pricey.

im just thinking you're really bad at describing things.

Yeah fry, don't start writing books or anything.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Oban 18. Go find it. It's even better than Oban 14 and only costs about 20-30 bucks more. It's really really good. more spicy and almost appley (?) than the 14 year version.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

Oban 18. Go find it. It's even better than Oban 14 and only costs about 20-30 bucks more. It's really really good. more spicy and almost appley (?) than the 14 year version.

20-30 more? It better start at $-5.00 for me.
    -Some guy in Ohio