The wife's first brew - Bella's Brown Ale
  • CZsCZs
    Hey everyone - wife get's her chance to make her first brew. This is based off one of our very first home brewing experiences where we rediscovered a Mr. Beer kit my bro-in-law gave me for Xmas a few years before. We had zero clue what we were doing, weren't feeling too good about it being older, - it was a Canadian Ale that she wanted to up the abv and give it a molasses-like taste. She dumped a cup of a light/dark brown sugar mix into the boil and decided at the last second to throw in some leftover raisins, probably about 8oz, right into that Mr. Beer 2.5er'. It smelled awful in the ferm, sat for a few weeks, smelled like brown sugar and raisiny, put in the bottle for a few weeks, put it in the fridge and forgot about it. We rediscovered those plastic liter bottles a couple months later and it was a crystal clear copper color and sure enough was a drinkable ale with molasses on the tongue, a little raisny and probably a little too cidery tasting but hey she was proud. Fast forward, she wants to take the same idea to our all-grain abilities and named it after one of our mini-dachshunds, Bella. Here it is. She wants that molasses, chewyness and didn't mind the cider so if she's happy, then I'm happy, and will gladly partake in her brew. If I can get her to enjoy the process and be hands-off at the same time then I'm hoping she wants to make a few brews a year and learn what she likes, doesn't like and what does and doesn't work.

OG: 1.059
    FG: 1.018
    ABV: 5.3%
    IBU: 26.6
    SRM: 24.75
    BU/GU: .45
    Wyeast - Northwest Ale 1332
    Ferm at Room Temp (70F)

FERMENTABLES:
    4 lb - Belgian - Pilsner (37.4%)
    1.5 lb - German - CaraMunich II (14%)
    1 lb - Belgian - Special B (9.4%)
    1 lb - Belgian - Unmalted Wheat (9.4%)
    0.75 lb - United Kingdom - Coffee Malt (7%)
    0.5 lb - Flaked Oats (4.7%)
    1.61 lb - Brown Sugar (15.1%)
    0.33 lb - Cane Sugar (3.1%) - both sugars mixed together, - 10 min boil

HOPS:
    1 oz - Glacier for 23 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 5.6, IBU: 13.64)
    1 oz - Columbus for 6 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 15, IBU: 12.96)

MASH STEPS:
    1) Temperature, Temp: 125 F, Time: 25 min
    2) Temperature, Temp: 135 F, Time: 25 min
    3) Temperature, Temp: 150 F, Time: 75 min
    4) Sparge, Temp: 170 F, Fly Sparge, Batch Sparge

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
    Puree 8oz raisins, 8oz dried plums with 4 oz of amaretto, add to ferment for 10 days.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    neat. i started on mr beer too.

oh, and pics or it didn't happen!
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ceanntceannt
    Mr beer didn't come around until long after I got started .... sad face

You should brew cast the wife's first brewday!
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • scoobscoob
    ceannt said:

I agree.....

Brew cast!!

ceannt said:

You got started brewing shortly before the Bronze Age began
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ceanntceannt
    scoob said:

ceannt said:

I agree.....

Brew cast!!

ceannt said:

You got started brewing shortly before the Bronze Age began

Not true!

It was well into the iron age ......
  • ThymThym
    Its cool that you can share this hobby with your wife.... No wonder you brew so frequently.

And yes, brew cast!
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

Its cool that you can share this hobby with your wife.... No wonder you brew so frequently.

This .... my wife but tolerates my brewing
  • CZsCZs
    Sorry fellas, no brewcast, but there will be pics - just barely squeezing this in this evening - will update later on. We ended up doing a raisin / plum puree, mixed in with Barista Prima Italian Coffee and Coke Zero!
  • CZsCZs
    Here's the wife and the dog who gets more lovin' than I do. I know it looks like I'm sniffing my dog instead of the other way around - odd self-pic angle in front of the tun
    20130615_194744.jpg
    219 x 274 - 25K
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    CZs said:

Sorry fellas, no brewcast, but there will be pics - just barely squeezing this in this evening - will update later on. We ended up doing a raisin / plum puree, mixed in with Barista Prima Italian Coffee and Coke Zero!

coke zero? what's in that stuff? sorbitol, aspertame?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    CZs said:

Here's the wife and the dog who gets more lovin' than I do. I know it looks like I'm sniffing my dog instead of the other way around - odd self-pic angle in front of the tun

the wife and dog are sharing the same conspiritory look. beware the morning cup of coffee from now on. they're up to something!
  • C_BC_B
    CZs said:

Further confirmation that homebrewers are overchicked.

Thym
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • CZsCZs
    lol hilarious - I was overchicked the day I was born. My father is praying we have a son - all women in my family. Outnumbered for sure.
  • C_BC_B
    CZs said:

lol hilarious - I was overchicked the day I was born. My father is praying we have a son - all women in my family. Outnumbered for sure.

Outnumbered isn't quite what I was talking about....
  • ceanntceannt
    C_B said:

CZs said:

Outnumbered isn't quite what I was talking about....

ha!
    hey, he's still kinda new here after all...
  • ceanntceannt
    So how is this batch coming along??????

and the real question..... does she check on it every few minutes? sniff at the airlock? talk to it?
  • ceanntceannt
    ceannt said:

So how is this batch coming along??????

and the real question..... does she check on it every few minutes? sniff at the airlock? talk to it?

the beer...
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    yeah, pretty sure everybody in here married well out of our league.
    How does this coincide with homebrewing, you might wonder.....well, it has something to do with the mind of the homebrewer being all about "just going for it". Need a piece of equipment but don't want to spend the cash?..."i could probably make something that works". Want a special beer not available in your area (or very expensive)?... "i could probably make something similar"...See a hot chick everybody else is too intimidated to hit on?....."i bet i could get her to marry me". See? It goes hand in hand.

C_Bceannt
  • ceanntceannt
    Well put fry!
  • CZsCZs
    yea sorry CB not quite following you - whipped perhaps? Overly sensitive and emotional perhaps? I'm a little dense - you'll have to spell it out for me

ceannt, oddly enough the wife is obsessed with cleaning the sides of the carboy at the site of any ugly krausen - there's no verbal communication with it - just hand gestures . . .the beer
  • ceanntceannt
    CZs said:

yea sorry CB not quite following you - whipped perhaps? Overly sensitive and emotional perhaps? I'm a little dense - you'll have to spell it out for me

ceannt, oddly enough the wife is obsessed with cleaning the sides of the carboy at the site of any ugly krausen - there's n
    verbal communication with it - just hand gestures . . .the beer

Ha!
    When she starts "baby talking" to the fermenter .... you know shes hooked
  • C_BC_B
    CZs said:

Homebrewers consistently marry out of their league. Meaning your wife is hot stuff and you are mediocre stuff. Don't take that as an insult. It is the case with all of us.
  • CZsCZs
    LOL that's why I cook and brew for her, got to keep my wife heavier to even things out - all joking aside - NOW i gotcha
  • CZsCZs
    ceannt said:

CZs said:

ceannt, oddly enough the wife is obsessed with cleaning the sides of the carboy at the site of any ugly krausen - there's n

Ha!

she's gettin' there - she was texting me krausen pics while I was away on business - "Excellent, most excellent . . ."
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    CZs said:

ceannt said:

CZs said:

Ha!

she's gettin' there - she was texting me krausen pics while I was away on business - "Excellent, most excellent . . ."

you, my friend, are treading down a dangerous path.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    you'll have to share all the beers~!
  • CZsCZs
    too late Zwolle - I already do! which, is fine - I'd say she drinks about 16-20 bottles for every 48 bottles I make - not a bad trade off. There are some that she doesn't like so it all evens out . . .sorta
  • ceanntceannt
    CZs said:

ceannt said:

CZs said:

Ha!

Won't be long before you are brewing with her hand me downs
  • CZsCZs
    ceannt said:

CZs said:

ceannt said:

CZs said:

Ha!

That's Friday Nights

• ThymThym
    CZs said:

ceannt said:

CZs said:

ceannt said:

CZs said:

Ha!

That's Friday Nights

With, not in. Freak.
  • ceanntceannt
    Lakewood said:

CZs said:

ceannt said:

CZs said:

ceannt said:

CZs said:

Ha!

That's Friday Nights

With, not in. Freak.

Ha!
  • CZsCZs
    Lakewood said:

CZs said:

ceannt said:

CZs said:

ceannt said:

CZs said:

Ha!

That's Friday Nights

With, not in. Freak.

S'how I roll . . .
  • ceanntceannt
    Would make for a more .... entertaining brewcast ...
  • CZsCZs
    no heels - they're killer on the feet
  • ceanntceannt
    CZs said:

no heels - they're killer on the feet

Ha! (Wimp)
  • CZsCZs
    I am, btw this thing smells slightly nutty and fruity - def a slight raisin/plum mixed in there and I get slight coffee in the nose - should be a nice one to enjoy as the nights get cooler here in a couple months - i know, don't bring it up yet
  • ThymThym
    CZs said:

I am, btw this thing smells slightly nutty and fruity - def a slight raisin/plum mixed in there and I get slight coffee in the nose - should be a nice one to enjoy as the nights get cooler here in a couple months - i know, don't bring it up yet

we've still got a couple months, but im already looking forward to it.
  • ceanntceannt
    I love the fall .... and fall beers ...
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

i hate the fall. ugly as can be in my opinion. love those fall beers though.
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

But you're inside all the time in the dark ... how can you tell if you hate it or not?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

ceannt said:

But you're inside all the time in the dark ... how can you tell if you hate it or not?

radio signals from the foil hat. ;)
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

ceannt said:

radio signals from the foil hat. ;)

lies! all lies!
  • ceanntceannt
    don't trust them radio signals!!!!!
  • CZsCZs
    you crazy mofos - sorry I haven't been on in FOR-EV-ER, FOR-EV-ER, FOR-EV-ER. We've got TWINS and I just brewed a Tripel yesterday - first brew I believe since December.

Got my Ocean Front Grisette in the pipeline (with some revisions), however - I'm more excited about what I'm doing next weekend - making a 120 min Belgian IPA with leftover hops of other brews (8 hop varieties to be exact). Also, have a 100 minute Farmhouse IPA on board.

I think the last thing I brewed was my Walking Dead inspired Saison - "Dead Weight Saison" with the Wyeast PC 3726 strain - I liked the brew, but don't like the strain at all compared to 3711 and 3724. It probably is the most balanced between pepperyness and fruit - so if you're going for phenols and esters balance - might want to try 3726. I think there was a Bier De Garde in there somewhere too - which I used the 3725 and thought it was "eh" - a little too vinous tasting (it is supposed to be I guess from what people tell me - supposedly mixed with wine strains over time?)

who the hell knows - anyways, I believe I got some messages and honestly never got to them because I'm an SOB - but sorry for the absenteeism and wazzup?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    you're alive!

CZs
  • ThymThym
    Looks like you are back to brewing in style there. Im not much od a wyeast afficianado so I dont really know their strains. But using lots of different strains to get a feel for them is definitely the way to go.

CZs
  • ceanntceannt
    Twins??????
    I don't know whether to congratulate you .... or offer my sympathy

CZs
  • ceanntceannt
    And .... post some pictures!

CZs
  • CZsCZs
    thanks for welcoming me back fellas - I'll get pics as soon as I can - the tripel is kicking along pretty nicely - I'll post recipe for that today. let me just say - the brew day takes a helluva lot longer with 3 mo old twins

Got to keep the que going for the summer!

ceannt